Monday 11 May 2015

Name Change of the Program

I recently found out that the names of my degree and program have changed. Now instead of being an M.A. in Expressive Therapies: Dance/Movement Therapy with a Specialization in Mental Health Counseling it is an M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Dance/Movement Therapy. The school's reasoning behind the change is that it will make it easier for people to apply for licensure after graduation.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether this change is for the best or not. I personally think that having the Clinical Mental Health Counselor title come first will help with licensure and receiving credibility from other professions. However, I am torn about the removal of Expressive Therapies from the title. I see my identity as a dance/movement therapist not an expressive therapist, however I think the expressive therapist piece is important to acknowledge.

Only time will tell how this change will affect us.

No comments:

Post a Comment